Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Serial mode on the WW-12 encoders 

Post Serial mode on the WW-12 encoders
I spent a full day trying to get serial mode working on the WW-12s, with no luck. I am fairly experienced with the Arduino.

I have an Arduino Duemilanove and the new WW-12 encoders. Is it possible to use the encoders in serial mode with SoftwareSerial or another serial port library, so that I can retain the use of Serial for debugging?

Having tried and failed to get the encoders working with my own code, I looked at the Wheel Commander examples and read about the serial format there. Am I supposed to use that complex format with the WW-12? In the manual for WW-12 it seemed to be a simpler version, one that would work with a basic read/write.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Serial mode on the WW-12 encoders
Sorry you're having trouble. I've been out of town and not very connected or I would have replied sooner.

Could you please post your code, and describe how you have wired the encoders to your Arduino, including how you are powering them and how every pin of the WW-12s are connected or not connected as the case may be.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:43 pm
Site Admin

By the way, I've written an Arduino library and example for the WheelWatcher tonight. I'll test and debug it and hopefully post it tomorrow if possible.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Thanks, Pete! I will wait for your library...I overwrote my old code and decided to go with Sign/Magnitude mode for now.

Are there any advantages to using Serial mode, other than the microprocessor does not tie up its interrupts? Does the WW-12 processor do some signal cleaning or something else to make counts more accurate than Sign/Magnitude?

Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

No, no advantages other than just a different way to get information from it; the accuracy is the same.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]